The Town provides roadway services to residents and businesses in Blackfalds including installing street signage; patching, crack filling, and line painting on roads; as well as, street sweeping, snow plowing, removal and sanding, and grading of back lanes.
Road Construction Projects
Womacks Rd / Gregg Street Realignment Continues!
The Womacks Rd / Gregg Street Realignment has officially begun once again!
Starting May 24, Gregg Street from Broadway to Lawton Ave will be closed for construction.
The provincial highways that intersect and border the Town of Blackfalds: Highways 2, 2A, and 597 are maintained by Mainroad. Any concerns regarding Alberta Transportation highways, please contact 1.877.875.3263.
Provincial Road Construction Projects
For Alberta Transportation's latest road construction reports see 511.alberta.ca.
Road & Street Maintenance Programs
In order to assist Town crews with effective snow clearing, we ask that all residents follow these guidelines:
- Keep the streets clear of vehicles during plowing.
- 'No Parking' signs will be placed 24 hours before snow removal to allow time to move vehicles off the street.
Vehicles that are not moved will be towed.
- If you plan to be away for an extended time, you are required to move any vehicles to off-street parking.
- Keep sidewalks clear of ice and snow within 48 hours of snowfall.
Free sidewalk sand
Public Works has placed a bin filled with sidewalk sand in the Centennial Park parking lot located on Panorama drive free to use. Simply bring a shovel and bucket and take what you need.
Every spring, road crews work to keep storm drains open and clean the streets of sand and debris that accumulates in the winter. The stormwater drainage basins are often steamed repeatedly to minimize the formation of large puddles.
When the road surface is dry enough, the streets are swept to prevent the storm sewers from clogging and to maintain a safer, clean surface for driving and cycling. The surfaces done each spring include:
- Town-owned roads that are finished with asphalt
- Hard-surfaced boulevards & medians
- Sidewalks & walkways that are plowed in the winter
- Public facility parking lots: Civic Cultural Centre (Town hall), Eagle Builders Centre Arena, Abbey Centre, Community Centre, and Wadey Centre
Street cleaning adds to the beauty and safety of our community and minimizes our environmental footprint, but can produce noise and dust. Community members are thanked for their understanding while this work is done and are asked to limit their on street parking and be mindful when placing their waste & recycling carts at this time.
Periodic sweeping continues throughout the summer until the Thanksgiving weekend, as required.
During the spring, our crew goes out to sweep the neighbourhoods of all the debris accumulated over the winter months.
"No parking" signs are placed 24 hours before sweeping starts. We ask that residents be cognizant of the signage and move their vehicles and help our crews complete the work.
Please do not park on the street until the signs are removed.
(Street Sweeping will take place in the order indicated)
Please note: The street sweeping schedule is weather-dependent and is subject to change, especially in Alberta!
Town crews do their best to make our roads safe. Road repairs and maintenance may include pothole filling, crack sealing, spray patching, alley and roadway grading.
Asphalt resurfacing may occur at various times during the year and we ask that all drivers and pedestrians be aware of construction signage and work zones.
We appreciate your patience and allow crews to complete these important repair and maintenance activities safely.
Our Public Works team always appreciates a friendly wave and positive words from our residents!
- Snow Clearing Priority Map 2021
- January 25 Report to Council - Request for Decision - Hwy 2A Intersection Gregg St & Panorama Dr
- Blackfalds Crossing Area Structure Plan Traffic Impact Assessment
- Hwy 2A Functional Planning Study - Blackfalds to Lacombe
- Snow and Ice Maintenance Policy
- Transportation Master Plan