The Town provides roadway services to residents and businesses in Blackfalds including installing street signage; patching, crack filling, and line painting on roads; as well as, street sweeping; snow plowing, removal & sanding; and grading of back lanes.
The provincial highways that intersect and border the Town of Blackfalds: Highways 2, 2A, and 597 are maintained by Mainroad. Any concerns regarding Alberta Transportation highways, please contact 1.877.875.3263.
Provincial Road Construction Projects
For Alberta Transportation's latest road construction reports see 511.alberta.ca.
Road Construction Projects
Womacks Rd / Gregg Street Realignment
The Womacks Rd / Gregg Street Realignment and Eagle Builders Centre parking lot will be starting the second week of June and go until the end of fall.
- Broadway Ave to Womacks Road has now re-opened and is no longer a 3-way stop. This re-opening will allow construction companies to begin work to the east side of the parking lot.
- Arena users will have access to the existing arena’s parking lot for scheduled ice times as of Monday, September 20 via Lansdowne Ave and Stanley St.
Please see this diagram for more information.
Vista Trail/Leung Road - Phase 1
Road construction has started along Vista Trail and Leung Road.
The site will be a 360-meter long connector road (Duncan Ave) that will travel through All-Star Park and will provide parking and access to the new high school.
Phase 1 construction will be completed at the end of the fall.
Road Closures: Effective July 7, temporary access will be given to All-Star Park. Please click here for details.
Westridge Drive/Cyprus Road
Road & Street Maintenance Programs
Every spring, road crews work to keep storm drains open and clean the streets of sand and debris that accumulates in the winter. The stormwater drainage basins are often steamed repeatedly to minimize the formation of large puddles.
When the road surface is dry enough, the streets are swept to prevent the storm sewers from clogging and to maintain a safer, clean surface for driving and cycling. The surfaces done each spring include:
- Town-owned roads that are finished with asphalt
- Hard-surfaced boulevards & medians
- Sidewalks & walkways that are plowed in the winter
- Public facility parking lots: Civic Cultural Centre (Town hall), Eagle Builders Centre Arena, Abbey Centre, Community Centre, and Wadey Centre
Street cleaning adds to the beauty and safety of our community and minimizes our environmental footprint, but can produce noise and dust. Community members are thanked for their understanding while this work is done and are asked to limit their on street parking and be mindful when placing their waste & recycling carts at this time.
Periodic sweeping continues throughout the summer until the Thanksgiving weekend, as required.
During the spring, our crew goes out to sweep the neighbourhoods of all the debris accumulated over the winter months.
"No parking" signs are placed 24 hours before sweeping starts. We ask that residents be cognizant of the signage and move their vehicles and help our crews complete the work.
Please do not park on the street until the signs are removed.
(Street Sweeping will take place in the order indicated)
Please note: The street sweeping schedule is weather-dependent and is subject to change, especially in Alberta!
Town crews do their best to make our roads safe. Road repairs and maintenance may include pothole filling, crack sealing, spray patching, alley and roadway grading.
Asphalt resurfacing may occur at various times during the year and we ask that all drivers and pedestrians be aware of construction signage and work zones.
We appreciate your patience and allow crews to complete these important repair and maintenance activities safely.
Our Public Works team always appreciates a friendly wave and positive words from our residents!
Thank you to our residents for your cooperation with snow removal this year.
- We ask that all residents keep the streets clear of vehicles during plowing. No Parking signs will be placed 24 hours before snow removal to allow time to remove vehicles. Vehicles that are not moved will be towed.
- If you are away for an extended time, you are asked to move vehicles on off-street parking.
- Keep sidewalks clear of ice and snow within 48 hours of snowfall.
Salted sand is now located at the Abbey Centre (4500 Womacks Rd). If you are in need of some salted sand, please bring a pail to the bin and help yourself!