Applications and other development information can be found in the document section below.
All submitted permit applications must include detailed drawings and site plan(s) and, if applicable, of the proposed development.
As per Land Use Bylaw 1198/16, the definition of development includes:
- an excavation or stockpile and the creation of either;
- a building, addition to, or replacement/ repair of a building;
- a change of land use, building, modification of land, or a building that is likely to change its use;
- a difference in the intensity of use to land or building or modification to land or building that results in a likely change in the intensity of use.
A development permit is needed in the above circumstances as well as:
- New or moved-structures
- Accessory buildings that are larger than 108 square feet &/or taller than 8.2′
- If the building use changes,
- Decks higher than 2′ above grade
- Home businesses (plus a Business License)
- Commercial, Institutional, and Multi-family developments prior to being issued a building permit.
Section 2.2 of the Land Use Bylaw further outlines development that does or does not require permitting.
Applications and other relevant information can be found in the document section below.
Submitted permit applications must include detailed drawings, site plan(s) and, if applicable, of the proposed development.
A building permit is needed for:
- New and moved-in structures;
- Construction that changes the footprint of a building, such as the addition of walls or a deck;
- the addition of a permanent accessory building that exceeds 108 square feet &/or 8.2 feet in height;
- the installation of a wood-stove, to ensure compliance with safety codes.
Gas, Plumbing & Electrical Permits
The Town of Blackfalds works with IJD Inspection Services for these permits and inspections. Please visit the IJD website to download the required permit applications and to review the eligibility requirements and details on the inspection process.
Complete Permit & Information Packages
Applications can be found in the document section below.
Submitted permit applications must include detailed drawings, site plan(s), and, if applicable, of the proposed development.
- AB Environment- Stepping Back From the Water
- Blackfalds Population and Land Demand Analysis
- Development Design Guidelines (2011)
- Joint Economic Agreement
- Municipal Planning Commission Bylaw 1075-08
- Subdivision & Development Appeal Board Bylaw 1076-08
- 2015 Off-Site Levies Report
- Safety Codes Council - Do I Need a Building Permit Tips Sheet
- What Kind of Permits are Required (Nov. 2021)