Skip To Content

Government & Services

  • font sizeA
  • A
  • A
  • |

Water, Sewer & Storm Utilities Locate Request

Buried utility lines can be potentially dangerous and costly to repair if damaged during any project that requires ground disturbance. This is why you must first formally submit a request to all operators of utilities to locate all buried lines such as gas, electricity, fibre optic, water and sewer, etc. in the area where the ground disturbance will be occurring.

From boring post holes for a fence to digging a basement, planting a tree, or replace an old utility line, respecting the markings helps to identify the locations of utility lines and help you plan and complete your project safely.

Utility Locates

Franchise (shallow) utilities are not the responsibility of the Town of Blackfalds.
Franchise utilities in our area to contact before you dig:

Locate Request Process

Whether you are landscaping, building a new fence or deck, or simply planting a garden, disturbing the ground on your property can cause damage to a buried utility. Some utilities are buried mere centimeters below the surface.
The result of a contact with a buried line can range from loss of an essential service for you or your neighbours to serious injury or fatalities. The financial costs of repairing any damage you cause to a buried utility will be borne by you, the excavator.
Before you disturb the ground for any reason, Know What’s Below!

What is a Locate Request? A request to have any buried utilities identified and marked prior to an excavation is called a Locate Request. Submit your Locate Request below.

Before submitting the locate request

  • Pre-mark the dig site with white paint and/or flags.
  • Collect the details about the scope and extent of the ground disturbance and exact location.
  • Wait until all utilities have been marked before digging.

The Town of Blackfalds does not locate water, sewer or storm lines on private property. Service lines on private property are owned by and the responsibility of the landowner. If a landowner wishes to locate service lines on private property, we recommend that you hire a qualified contractor to perform the locate.

Submit a Locate Request

To submit a locate request, fill out the Citizen Issue/Request Submission on the Citizen Request Portal page.
Select utilities locate request in the Issue Type drop-down menu.

After Hours Emergency

Phone:  403.340.9593